0°...+10°C in the night
+20°...+30°C in the night
+2°...+12°C in the night
-15°...-25°C in the night
- April -------
- July --------
- October -------
- January 0.2-0.5 m
Roads: there is a good asphalt road from Almaty to the turning point at Bakanas road. Further ground trails in steppe are also good, suitable for any kind of vehicle, but it is important to find a rolled way.
Trails: looks more ground trails
National Parks: no NP around (as it was in 2018)
Petrol Stations: the last one in Kapchagai town
Shops and cafes: there are no shops and cafes around
Water: no sources with drinking water. Water in Ili River is not drinkable
Cellular coverage: there is no cellular connection in Tamgaly Tas and along Ili river. It can be (unstable) in some high points and on the top of the hills.
• no guest houses in this area
• there are many good places at a riverbank. It is desert countryside, so luck of trees and shadow. No any permission is required for tent camping, but you may be asked to pay "cleaning fee" to the company, which took a part of Tamgaly Tas area in long term lease, in 2018.
HOW TO GET FROM ALMATY
Drive from Almaty to Kapchagai and further to north (cross the bridge after Kapchagai). Turn left on a fork, in a direction of Bakanas (north-west). Move 19km by Bakanas road and then turn left in steppe (at a sign “Range of MES”). Follow the ground road for the next 15 km: turn left as soon as you come down to the Ili valley. Reference point: big gates in Chinese style and high rock massif.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO
- ancient Buddhist monastery, now ruined, with huge images of Buddha on the rocks (over 300 years)
- high rocky massif full of climbing routes
- petroglyphs and rock carvings of stone and bronze ages
- blooming steppe in red and yellow colours in April (blooming of tulips and poppies)
Summer activity options:
- rock climbing (range of different routes, all anchored)
- rafting by Ili river (calm water)
- running and hiking
In the beginning of March, when the snow starts melting, the ground trails/roads may become impassable